Thursday, February 21, 2008

How many times in a week do you get asked, "So, what do you do?" I have resorted to answering that question with, 'I work.'
After a sudden and life altering job loss, I took a job working retail, 0-32 hours per week, I average around 10 and 15 on a good week, and that is usually with taking someone's hours because they have called in. Although, I don't particularly care for it at all, Nothing is beneath me, the bills must be paid, and I need to eat at lease one meal a day. It gets me out of the house and fills the gap in my employment while I am on the never ending job hunt. I must admit, I was lured in with the facination of ultraviolet lights, overpriced clothing (which by the way, I can't even afford), short hours, varying schedules, low pay, lack of benefits, and endless opportunities to interact with demanding, rude customers. This facination came my way when I like so many others simply, NEEDED A JOB. They said the one thing that so many other employers had not said for months- Your Hired, When can you Start.
Seriously, yesterday while waiting for the multitude of senior citizens to trickle in and take full advantage of their discount, I looked a woman in the faced and laughed (to prevent slapping her)as she told me that I was "very efficient, and good with what I do", (mind you, I was pulling plastic from clothes hanging from a wrack to be shelved), I though to myself', ' Is she for real, does she really think that this is what and all that I can do, and that that is why I am so EFFICIENT?'
Customers make these statement often, and managers say to take it with a grain of salt, but why should I, really?
I am educated, talented, skilled, and no I am not some 20 something (I'm 30) who wants everything out of life now. I am one of many stuck in various jobs merely because we have to be for the moment. I know that I am so much more than who and what I appear to be based on my current job. Sure, there are some who truly love the retail industry, and other career fields, and can stay a lifetime, and with or without advancemet. What the ...? There are some who are willing to accept there current reality. But I know that there is more for me, and if I cannot find it, I will create it.
I will no longer accept that there are no jobs out there, because I see people everyday gaining employment opportunities that they do not qualify for and with great pay based on looks and/or who they know. So, I know that there has got to be an opportunity somewhere for me, and for you as well. So, don't give up!
I see posted jobs suddenly "filled" when you call to inquire and they notice that you may not be the "of the right age, race/ethnic origin"
I have seen people get jobs in my field, PR, without the degree that I worked to recieve. This is too true and dear to me as read and hear so much about the college grad who is unemployed, and looking- WHY? We have the loan debt and can't get even a job that we don't want that pays enough to pay it of, yet alone one that we have trained for or need extra experience in.
People all to often assume that the person who does not have a well paying job, or is unemployed or whatever the situation, is not trying hard enough. True, some people are not trying, and not willing to put in the work, but many are. People assume that all you have to do is choose what you want to do and where you want to work, apply and you will get the job? I assume that evidently, these people are either plain ignorant to the economy and society standards, or that they have never been placed in that position to have to look for a job. Believe it or not, some people have never had to want for some things, and there are some who have had to want; yet, forgot what it was to have to want.

So, my question is, are you settling for what you have, or are you working in active pursuit of what you desire and aspire to be? What is your story?

1 comment:

Jen said...

Sounds like you assume that people who compliment you on your ability to do a job, even if you dislike it, must think that's all you're capable of doing. I don't think they're putting that much thought or meaning into it. People enjoy seeing a job well done, even if it's a shit job.

I was terrible at waiting tables, but I was good at my retail job. I thought I was much too educated and intelligent for either of these, but I enjoyed the retail more because at least I was good at it. I take my accomplishments where I can get them, I guess :).